TOO MUCH SPICY
INDIAN STREET FOOD & CRAFT BEER
December 2016 saw Leeds’ critically acclaimed ‘beer & Indian’ joint open its doors in Manchester. In a basement on Piccadilly, Bundobust is a stone’s throw from the city’s independent Northern Quarter. We’ve brought our award-winning recipe for success over the Pennines, and are quickly ranking as one of the city’s best casual dining restaurants.
What we do is simple – Gujurat-inspired street food and the world’s best craft beer, from both local and international breweries.
Jay Rayner, the Observer’s food critic, reviewed the restaurant just months after opening, and we think he puts it best: “vibrant Indian street food served with craft beer in a friendly communal space…Why has no one done this before?”
- OKRA FRIES (v, gF)Perfect with beer. Fried lady’s fingers coated in chickpea batter. Seasoned with black salt & mango powder.£4
- ONION, BROCCOLI & KALE BHAJIS (v, gF)The ultimate bhaji! Spiced with fennel & chilli. Served with a tamarind & red pepper chutney.£4.50
- BHEL PURI (v)A crisp & crunchy street food classic. Samosa pastry, puffed rice, peas, red onion & tomato tossed in tamarind chutney. Topped with pomegranate seeds.£4.50
- BUNDO CHAATA layered taste sensation of samosa pastry, chickpeas, potato, tamarind chutney, yoghurt, onion, turmeric noodles & chilli sauce.£4.75
- IDLI SAMBHAR (v, gF)A warming lentil, aubergine & bottle gourd soup. Served with steamed rice cakes & a mustard seed & curry leaf chutney.£5
- GOBI MUSHROOM MANCHURIAN (e)Mushroom & cauliflower pakoras slathered in an Indo-Chinese sauce.£5.5
- VADA PAV (e)Mumbai’s favourite burger. A deep-fried spicy mashed potato ball. Served in a brioche bun with red & green chutney.£5.50
- RAGHDA PETHIS (v, gF)India meets the North of England. Spicy mushy peas & potato cake. Topped with turmeric noodles, tomato, onion & tamarind chutney.£5.50
- MASSALA DOSA (v, gF)Mini rice pancakes filled with a cauliflower & potato dry fry. Served with a lentil, aubergine & bottle gourd soup.£6
- EGG BHURJI (e)Indian scrambled egg cooked with peppers, chilli, cumin & coriander. Served with a soft Indian flatbread£6
- TARKA DHAL & RICE (v, gF)A classic mixed lentil curry cooked with cumin, garlic & chilli. Served on basmati rice.£6
- CHOLE SAAG (v)Our spin on a traditional curry. Chickpea & spinach massala. Served with puri.£6.50
- PANEER & MUSHROOM TIKKA (gF)Skewers of barbecued paneer, mushrooms & peppers marinated in yoghurt curd & our tikka massala. Served with red pepper ketchup & spinach chutney.£6.50
- PANEER KADAIA staff curry favourite! Paneer cheese cooked in a deep cinnamon, fenugreek, red pepper & tomato sauce. Served with bhatura.£6.50
- PAV BHAJI (e)A street food original. Mashed up cauliflower, potato & peas. Flavoured with garam massala. Served with a spiced toasted brioche bun.£6.50
- SAMBHAR (v, gF)Lentil, aubergine & bottle gourd soup.£3.50
- KACHUMBER SAMBHARO (v, gF)Bitter leaves, cucumber, red cabbage, zingy£3
- SAUCE TRIO (gF)Yoghurt & cumin, desi ketchup, tamarind & date.£1.50
- RICE (v, gF)Basmati£1.75
- IDLI (v, gF)Steamed rice cakes.£1.50
- BHATURADeep fried Indian flatbread fermented with yoghurt.£1.50
- PURI (v)Deep fried unleavened bread. Portion of 2.£2
- KULFI ICE (gF)Indian ice cream on a stick. Ask for today’s avour.£2.50
- COMBO FOR 2ONION, BROCCOLI & KALE BHAJIS + BUNDO CHAAT + PANEER & MUSHROOM TIKKA + TARKA DHAL + MASSALA DOSA£25.50
- VEGAN COMBO FOR 2OKRA FRIES + ONION, BROCCOLI & KALE BHAJIS + BHEL PURI + RAGDA PETHIS + MASSALA DOSA£22.50
- COMBO FOR 4KACHUMBER SAMBHARO + POPCORN & POPS + OKRA FRIES + ONION, BROCCOLI & KALE BHAJIS + BUNDO CHAAT + RAGHDA PETHIS + PANEER TIKKA + MASSALA DOSA + EGG BHURJI + CHOLE SAAG£44
- BUNDO COMBOEVERY DISH ON THE MENU! Feeds 6-8 people. *Excludes Additionals & Sweet. Includes Kachumber Sambharo.£82.50
- FAR FAR (v)Colourful rice puffs dusted with our special spice blend.£2.50
- SPICY NUTS (v, gF)Cashews, peanuts, almonds, peas & lentils tossed in our special spice blend.£3
- POPCORN & POPS (v, gF)Popcorn & mini popadoms drizzled with green chilli & garlic oil.£3
2 DISHES FOR £7.50
MON - FRI, 12noon - 4PM
- BOMBAY DAZZLERIndian Witbier - Bundobust x Northern Monk - 4.8% (keg)£4.80
- ETERNALSession IPA - Northern Monk - 4.1% (keg)£4.80
- VELTINSPilsener - 4.8% (keg)£4.50
- APERIETTA, PROSECCO SPUMANTE DOCItalyCrisp, fruity, citrus & peach notes.£5 / £25
- CA’ DI PONTI GRILLO, IGTSicilyA little known, peachy & vibrant wine.£4.50 / £6.20 / £18
- FALSE BAY, WILD YEAST CHENIN BLANCSouth AfricaAn exceptional Chenin Blanc. Tropical fruit flavours & a creamy lemon finish.£5 / £6.85 / £20
- WILLOWGLEN, GEWURZTRAMINER/RIESLINGAustraliaRose petal aromas with a hint of spice & fresh citrus. Sweet flavours of rosewater & a citrus freshness£5.40 / £7.60 / £22
- PARRA JIMINEZ, VERDEJOSpainClean ripe fruit with a floral note & pitch of spice.£5.85 / £8.35 / £24
- SEPP, GRÜNER VELTLINERAustriaWonderfully fruity with aromas & flavours of pear, kiwi, apricot & a little white spice.£6.70 / £9.50 / £28
- LE SENTIER, DANS LES VIGNESFranceA warming Rhône style red with rich spiced fruit aromas & ample round fruit on the palate.£4.55 / £6.20 / £18
- ADOBE, MERLOTChileA super, classically rounded, delicious Merlot.£5.50 / £7.60 / £22.50
- EL VIEJO DEL VALLE, PINOT NOIRChileA bright & complex wine with good berry fruit flavours.£5.60 / £7.80 / £22.75
- CROIX D’OR, PINOT NOIR ROSEFranceDry, aromatic with summer pudding berry flavours£5.60 / £7.80 / £22.75
- DESI 75Sipsmith’s sloe gin, lemon juice & cinnamon syrup topped with Prosecco.£7
- MANGO & ROSE WATER BRAMBLEPortobello Rd gin, mango, rosewater & lemon juice.£7
- COCONUT & MANGO MOJITOKoko Kanu rum, mango syrup, lime juice & fresh mint. Tropical!£7
- GINGER AMARETTO SOURDisaronno, ginger liquor, lemon juice, bitters & aquafaba.£7
- DIRTY LOPEZAppleton’s white rum shaken with mango, pineapple, coconut & lime.£7.25
- HIBISCUS GIMLETPortobello Rd gin, lime cordial & hibiscus tea.£7
- RED SNAPPEROphir gin, tomato juice, Henderson’s relish, our chef’s special hot sauce, fresh lemon juice, celery salt & black pepper.£7.50
- PAPER PLANEWoodford Reserve bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Montenegro & fresh lemon juice.£8.25
- RUM FASHIONEDWoodford Reserve bourbon, Pampero Golden Rum, spiced syrup & orange bitters.£8.25
- NEGRONISacred Cardamom Gin, Campari & Cocchi Torino vermouth.£8.25
- NIMBU PANI(Non-alcoholic)Indian lemonade flavoured with cumin and salt£3.25
- Mango Lopez(Non-alcoholic)A refreshing blend of mango, pineapple, coconut & lime£4.25
- Bundo Crush(Non-alcoholic)Grapefruit & Cranberry juice, rosewater, topped with soda£3.25
- Kachumber Cooler(Non-alcoholic)Cucumber, mint & lime, topped with soda & cucumber gomme.£3.25
- MANGO LASSIYoghurt drink.£2.75
- SODA POPCoke, Diet Coke or Sprite. Thums Up. India’s finest cola.£2.40
- KARMA KOLA CO.Choose from Karma Cola, Lemony Lemonade or Gingerella. Ethical & Fairtrade.£3.25
- JUICEOrange, Apple, Mango, Pink Grapefruit, Pineapple or Cranberry.£2.20
- WATERHarrogate Spa. Still or sparkling.£1.25
- TEAAsk for today’s loose leaf selection.£2
- HOUSE CHAIWarming Indian hot drink. Made with boiled milk, ginger, massala & sugar.£2.40
- BOOZEY CHAIOur house chai with added alcohol. BAILEYS BOURBON Buffalo Trace COGNAC Martel VS£4 / £5 / £5.50
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR BEERS
From midday we'll be pouring the following until they're gone:
Are you Shore? Brut IPA (6%)
Spontan Double Blueberry (7.7%)
Nelson Sauvignon Mango & Passionfruit (9%)
Stedsegroen Session IPA (3.5%)
Bean Geek Hazy IPA (4.9%)
Gose Watermelon (4%)
Chipotle Porter with Chili (6.6%)
Weird Weather Gluten Free IPA (6.8%)
Beer Geek Breakfast Stout (7.5%)
Spontan Hibiscus (7.7%)
You don't need a festival wristband to attend this event, however, tickets for Friends & Family & Beer are available here: https://www.friendsandfamily.beer/
They're BBBack! You voted to bring back Biryani Bhaji Balls, so from Monday 18th - 28th February they'll be available on our specials board, alongside a personal favourite of ours, Pani Puri.
Biryani Bhaji Balls - Biryani arancini: crispy, Deep-fried balls of rice flavoured with rosewater, mint, and whole spices. Served with a rich biryani-style tomato sauce.
Pani Puri - Refreshing traditional street food. Crispy puri filled with massala and sprouting mung bean, served with tamarind, lemon, and black salt water.
Available at both Bundo venues
We're celebrating the Chinese Year of the Pig with a week of special dishes and drinks from Chinatown via Kolkata.
Sesame Gobi Toast is a vegetarian take on the takeaway classic prawn toast, and Egg-fried Pilau is a mash-up of spicy Indian pilau and egg-fried rice. They both join popular Indo-Chinese favourite Gobi Manchurian - fried cauliflower and mushrooms in a hot sweet & sour sauce - a permanent fixture on the Bundo menu.
As well as a range of food-friendly beers such as Nomad Salt & Pepper Gose, a limited edition 0% ABV Ginger-Apple sour spiced with garam masala - Five Ginger Death Punch - has been specially designed to go with the new dishes, and their classic Ginger Amaretto Sour is recommended for anybody wanting to toast the new year with something stronger.
All specials are available from Monday 4th - Sunday 8th Feb in Leeds and Manchester
Sesame Gobi Toast - Deep-fried pav topped with minced cauliflower, garlic, and ginger. Served with a sriracha-black pepper chutney.
Egg-fried Pilau - Basmati dry-fry with broken omelette, red peppers, and green onions, spiced with chilli and garam masala
Five Ginger Death Punch - 0% ABV apple and ginger sour spiced with garam masala, shaken with aquafaba for a silky froth (V)
We’ve closed our doors now for the last time in 2018, re-opening on Monday January 7th so everybody can have a well-deserved week off, and we wanted to take this opportunity to have a quick recap of the previous 12 months, and look forward to some plans for 2019.
There’s been big, personal developments for the team - co-founder Marko and his partner Toni announced they were expecting the first Bundo Baby (working title: Baby Spice), Chef Maity’s wife and son were finally able to join him in England, and Leeds & Manchester managers Chris & Chris both bought new homes, meaning Botham is officially not Yorkshire’s problem any more - good luck Manchester…
While all this has been going on, the teams have managed to take Leeds and Manchester Bundo from strength to strength, starting the year off with a complete menu overhaul, and throughout the year introducing some of our most creative and ambitious specials yet, like the Hot Hara Dog, Hara Bara Kebab Sandwiches, and Pumpkin Samosas.
View this post on Instagram
Bundobust Brewing Co Brew Day 🍻 You lot went through the first batch of Dhana International, our flagship Coriander Seed IPA in no time, so Harry from #bundobustlds and Dan from #bundobustmcr joined the brewers from @northernmonk to conjure up another keg run. 🌱 We’ll be pouring it at both venues in the next couple of weeks - keep an eye on the fridges for the last few cans kicking about!
A post shared by Bundobust (@bundobust) on
Collaboration and community is in our DNA at Bundobust, so we’re thrilled to have spent this year working with some of our favourite businesses - working on events with Adidas, Leeds Indie Food, Leeds Beer Week, and Manchester Foods & Drink Festival; setting up Bundobust Brewing Company with the help of Northern Monk; and doing some killer dish and menu collabs with the likes of Ox Club, Prashad, Pollen, Siop Shop, Whitelocks, and Tapped. It’s been a pleasure showcasing some of America’s finest breweries with takeovers from Other Half, Equilibrium, Bissell Brothers, and Finback, as well as natural wines from Wayward and Love and Labour.
And, not to blow our own trumpet, but our efforts haven’t gone unnoticed. Manchester recommended in the Michelin Guide 2019, Leeds picked up Best Street Food award at the Oliver Awards, with both are set to be featured in next year’s Lonely Planet Guides, and we’ve received notable mentions in The Guardian, The Telegraph, delicious, Olive Magazine, Conde Nast Traveller, BBC Good Food, and Waitrose Magazine. We were also thrilled to make our TV debut when the Vada Pav appeared on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch with none other than butty legend Max Halley from Max’s Sandwich Shop.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Bundobust (@bundobust) on
As cliche as it sounds, we couldn’t have done any of this without you - the regulars, the people who have nipped in once on a whim, the craft beer geeks, the Indian food obsessives, militant vegans, curious meat-eaters, and everybody in-between. In 2019 we’ve got even more in store for all of you: new and exciting collaborations with more of our favourite people, the launch of Bundobust Brewing Company’s core range in February, Liverpool, our third venue, opening in March, followed swiftly by Bundobust 4, our biggest project yet incorporating (among other things) a brewing facility. Bit of exclusive gossip for you there.
Happy New Year from all of the team at Bundobust, and see you soon!
We’re looking for kitchen, bar, and front of house staff in Liverpool. If you’d like to join our growing team, send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Liverpool Kitchen/Bar
T-SHIRTS · POSTERS · TEA TOWELS · BOTTLE OPENERS · BAGS
CLICK HERE TO BUY
Mon - Thu: 12:00 - 21:30
Fri - Sat: 12:00 - 22:00
Sun: 12:00 - 20:00
Mon - Thu: 23:00
Fri - Sat: 00:00
SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST
FOR ALL THINGS BUNDOBUST
We send out a monthly newsletter of all our latest offers, upcoming events and anything we want to shout about. Sign up to keep in the loop.
Just fill in the form and keep up to date with all the Bundo-chaat.
Please connect a business account on the Instagram Feed settings page in order to display hashtag feeds
Please see this post for more information.
Due to changes in Instagram's API, feeds can no longer filter out posts based on the user who posted them.
Try using a different moderation system for this feed.
For bookings of 13 or more people email email@example.com
We are situated in a basement with 12 steps leading down to our restaurant from street level. Unfortunately we are not wheelchair accessible.